The Danish Hernia Database (DHDB) is a national clinical quality database which registers hernia operations (inguinal, incisional, umbilical and other types of abdominal hernia) in patients aged 18 on the date of operation. The database contains operational data (primarily operative findings and details of the procedure undertaken) registered by the physician immediately after carrying out the operation.
DHDB comprises two databases, one for inguinal operations and one for ventral hernia operations. Reporting to the database is based on the Clinical Measurement System, KMS. Data is also cross-batched with the National Patient Register for matches with CPR No., department and operation date +/- 4 days.
- Nationwide clinical quality database
- Clinical quality
- The population consists of all inguinal and femoral hernia operations in Denmark. Since 2007, the database has also included ventral hernia operations (incisional, umbilical, epigastrial and other hernias) carried out in Denmark
- Database Categories
The Regional Clinical Quality Databases
Data about clinical quality are collected with the purpose of monitoring and raising the quality of patient treatment in the Danish health-care system. These data can, as well as all other public registers, be made accessible for research projects based on systematic protocols and approved according to the relevant legislations.
Applying for access to data from a regional clinical database requires a list of demands to be obtained. A project description should be attached containing a description of the project explaining the rationale, purpose, methods, budget, publication plan etc.
Furthermore, The Danish Data Protection Agency must approve the project.
- Apply via research access (Danish: forskeradgang), an online application system
- Submit the protocol to The Danish Clinical Registries (RKKP)
- RKKP registers the application
- The application is forwarded to the relevant clinical database
- Potential dialog about adjustment to the protocol
- Approval and extradition of data (expected 6 months after application)
The Regional clinical quality databases subject to rules for treatment of personal data, that should secure high quality of patient treatment in Denmark. These legislations include The Act on Processing of Personal Data (Danish: Persondataloven) and The Danish Act of Health (Danish: Sundhedloven). These legislations ensure that data access is limited to relevant purposes.
- Data owner
- The Capital Region of Denmark
- Contact data owner
Kongens vænge 2
- Website - data owner
- Data administrator
- The Danish Clinical Registries (RKKP)
- Contact data administrator
- Birgitte Rühmann
T: 26 34 78 09
- Website - data administrator